Friday, August 9, 2013

Holly Skirt

Today I am wearing my "Holly Skirt."  For those who have known me a while you know this skirt.  It is a patchwork, ankle-length wrap-around...all bright colors that are beginning to fade with age.  The shape is a bit droopy, as well, but I love this skirt!  It reminds me of the velveteen rabbit.

Anyway, I wear my Holly Skirt and it reminds me of who I am, and some days that is what I need.  It tells me again that the Spirit inside me loves to dance in worship (though my tradition rarely does.)  It reminds me that my Father enjoys me, which is often easy to forget.  It speaks to me of my freedom in Christ to be all God has created me to be, even when it seems the world does not value what I offer.  I reminds me that my joy, my security, my worth is all wrapped up in something Other -worldly; it's wrapped up in identity that cannot be taken from me as a daughter of the king, a child of the Father, a servant of the most Holy.

One of the things I could really use today is a good dose of,"my girls" and we would sing and sign and worship through songs like Blessed be your Name, and Praise you in the Storm, and Strength Will Rise as You Wait upon the Lord, and maybe even Praise you with the Dance if we can remember the moves :)  "My girls" by the way is a group of now young women who, when they were in jr. and sr. high school, worked with me in Brandon, WI, and we put sign language to music, creating liturgical signing.

I need a splash of color, a swirl around my legs, a song, to lift me up and turn my eyes to my Creator.

Isaiah 43 tells us:  "Fear not, for I have redeemed you;  I have summoned you by name;  YOU ARE MINE."

Lord, for what have you redeemed me?  To what are you summoning me?  Help me to delight in my relationship with you.  I long to be your faithful daughter and servant until my life's end.
So be it!

By the way The Velveteen Rabbit is a children's story written by Marjorie Williams that talks about the process of becoming real by loving and being loved, even when it hurts.  A good read for all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment