Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Beautiful Enough

Beautiful Enough

When I am in Australia I enjoy going along with Lilah(6) and helping out in her classroom. One morning I was walking her to school, though I hadn't planned on staying to help. But as we walked Lilah asked if I would ask her teacher if I could stay and help that morning.

I responded that I hadn't really dressed for it. She looked at me, fully clothed, and asked, “Why can't you wear those clothes?” I said, “Well I didn't fix my hair, and I don't have any makeup on.” (Not that I ever wear much, but I rarely go out without putting on my eyebrows.)

Lilah wasn't buying it. She looked me up and down, thoughtfully. Then said, “I think you are beautiful like this.” Enough said, I stayed and helped.

I was humbled to have to learn this lesson again, but learning it again from a 6 year old is probably the best.. Beauty isn't about make-up, though I still prefer to have a little on. Being beautiful in my grandchild's eyes is more precious than just about anything!

This simple conversation made me realize that we often miss opportunities to be with, to serve, to connect with someone, to experience community for quite “silly” reasons. Often these superficial reasons/excuses are weapons of the Evil One to keep us ineffective.

We don't invite someone to our home because our house isn't clean enough, or big enough, or.... so we miss the opportunity to share the gift of hospitality. We don't share a meal because we don't have time to prepare something special, or we feel our cooking isn't “good enough.” We don't help out with a project because we are afraid we aren't “good enough” and we miss the opportunity to serve. We don't talk to someone because we're not sure we are as important as they are, or perhaps we are afraid we don't have the answers to fix their problems, and we simply miss the opportunity to bless. We don't get involved because we aren't ready...yet, and probably won't every be.

There are all kinds of “Not Good Enough” reasons to keep us from being light and love in this lost and broken world that is starving for people to just “do it!”

Romans 12 is a great passage to read when we think that we have to be a person of great significance to be the person God has called us to be. What would our world look like if all of us who call ourselves christian would acknowledge the presence and power of the Holy Spirit to enable us live Romans 12.

We are beautiful enough...strong enough...kind enough...gifted enough...loved enough...wise enough, if we don't try to do anything in our own power, but wholly trust in the One who lives inside us.

Romans 12

I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world.......keep reading Romans 12......Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good: love one another with mutual affection; outdo one another in showing honor. Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit, serve the Lord, Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer. Contribute to the needs of saints, extend hospitality to strangers. Bless........

No comments:

Post a Comment