Saturday, September 5, 2015

Carpet Cleaning with a Purpose

Carpet Cleaning with a Purpose

(Confession: This is not just a blog.)
Today I spent the day cleaning carpets. It provides great thinking time. Back and forth, back and forth.....

I got to pondering how I could raise the funds still needed this year for Help the Youth, in Haiti. I thought about ways other organizations raise money and how people get involved. Some use running, or walking, biking, or golf. We contribute to good causes by doing all of these things. Back and forth, back and forth....

Suddenly I began to wonder, “If people will sponsor people to do the things they enjoy, how much could I raise by cleaning carpets?” It is a service; lots of people need their carpets cleaned. It would give me a chance to share the story of Haiti as I visit people in their homes. It gives me time to think and meditate.

So this is what I came up with: in the month of September I challenge you to help me raise funds for Haiti. How can you do that?
  1. Hire me to clean you carpets and provide a donation for Haiti. (Please be generous!)
  2. Don't need your carpets cleaned? I'll bet you know someone who could use the help. Maybe your parents, grandparents or kids, maybe a sister or friend. Gift them with a clean carpet and help someone in Haiti.
  3. Want to do more than give money, and you own a carpet cleaner? Join me, even if it is long distance. Get the word out that you are willing to clean a carpet for a donation to Help the Youth, Haiti.
  4. Offer to sponsor me for every carpet I clean this month.
  5. Help me get the word out.

Here is the challenge. This fall we need to raise:
  1. $7000 for scholarships and program costs for the rest of the 2015/16 school year.
  2. $1000 for Christmas chickens, our gift to the students.
  3. $1000 for t-shirts, helping to build identity as a group.
Let me know if you think of easier ways to earn the money :)  But for now let's try this!  How much do you think I can raise?


For more information on Help the Youth check out some of my earlier posts or go to www.beautifulresponse.org

Help the Youth is providing scholarships for 100 students go to school this year who have no other way to pay their tuition.  It is an indigenous Haitian mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment