Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Spirit Danced

I just returned from New Jersey, where I spent some time at the Crossroads retreat for RCA women of that region.  What a beautiful, diverse, energized group of Sisters in Christ!  My time with them was short,(see my previous post) but good.  I also led a workshop at Brookdale Reformed Church on Sunday.

Morgan was my highlight!  Morgan, dressed in a white leotard and flowing skirt. Morgan, so petite. Morgan, who looked to be about 14 years old. Morgan danced with all her heart and soul at the Saturday retreat.  As she danced she was transformed into this beautiful representation of the Spirit, leading us all into worship.  I saw Morgan with her mom, and only talked with her a little to thank her for leading us in worshiping on Saturday.

Sunday morning, as my new friend Deborah and I arrived at Brookdale for worship, we discovered Morgan was there.  She was putting the numbers for the hymns up on the board, getting out the bulletins, and helping prepare for worship.  I had the opportunity to talk with her and found out she had just had a birthday.  Morgan had turned 31.  Morgan also has some developmental disabilities.  At the workshop in the afternoon she shared that one of her frustrations is that people think she is a child and don't think she can do anything.  They are so wrong!

God packages his gifts to the Body in so many unique ways; and way too often we miss the gifts they are.  And often those uniquely packaged need to be affirmed that God has filled them with his Spirit and is working through them to touch lives.  Morgan and Christina were the two youngest at our workshop Sunday afternoon.  It gave me much joy to look them in the eyes and affirm from the bottom of my heart that God loves them and has a plan and a future for them: to affirm that I see God in them and at work through them.  I hope I get to hear the stories of how God continues to work in them.

We all struggle with those times we can't believe that we are a gift to anybody.  Times when we can't imagine why God has created us the way he did.  We also look at others and see them for what they don't have, rather than looking for the gift they are.  God tells us we are fearfully and wonderfully made (Ps 139:14).  Can we claim that as the psalmist did?  I KNOW THAT FULL WELL!  Wow, that is a challenge, but we honor our Creator when we believe it and live into it.


No comments:

Post a Comment