Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Telling Stories

Storytelling is one of the oldest forms of history keeping and communication of which we know.  I love hearing a good story, reading a good story and telling a good story.  Having children settle all around this great world I am thankful for the advances of technology that allow me to stay connected with my kids and grandchildren.

Recently when we were skyping with our grandkids in Australia I told them about meeting an Australian in a Kohl"s department store.  I drew the story out.  I made them an important part of the story. I told it well.

I met a cashier in Kohl"s that had an aussie accent, so I asked where she was from.  She said Australia, and I mentioned that I go there every year.  I told her where Cory lives and she got so excited, commenting, "You not only know where Sydney is, you know the suburbs!"  I told Lilah how she lived near Manly Beach and went to Macquarie University, how she knew right where they lived, and how excited she was to talk about "Home" with someone who knew her area.

When I got done telling my story Lilah asked, "Do you have another story?"  She wanted more! Stories connect us with one another.

I love telling stories.  Every time we skype, at the end we give a blessing, and now I want to make sure that each time I talk to the grandkids I try to have a story to tell.  Even if it isn't long or of great significance I want a story to share.   We all love a good story.  We are people of the story.

One of the great challenges of us "more mature" members of the family is being "keepers of the story;" both our own family stories and our FAMILY story of creation and redemption and sanctification and salvation...and all that lies within and beyond.  We need to tell the stories, not just of what God did in Scripture, but what God is doing today...in our lives, communities and the world!

One time when teaching an advent lesson in a children's program at a church in Michigan a neighborhood child said, "I've heard about Jesus.  Didn't he get hit by a car?"  Boom!  Reality check! We need to be telling stories!! We need to look for opportunities to tell THE STORY.

Ps. 78:1-4  O my people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth.  I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter hidden things from of old...what we have heard and known, what our fathers have told us.  We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment