Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Out of the Darkness and Into the Light

I think I've figured out why it has taken me so long to blog again. What is on my heart is not a feel good story; it is a heart-wrenching reality that needs a response. Some of you know that this past year I have gotten involved at the Center for Women in Transition. The name speaks to the HOPE they offer, rather than focusing on the evil they address. (Sexual assault and domestic violence)

This blog is about:
  1. A little 9 year old who comes to the center for counseling to help him deal with the domestic violence and abuse in his home. He is a wonderful, outgoing, resilient child making a lot of progress. Within 10 minutes I wanted to adopt him. The rescue impulse had kicked in...full strength. So much more needs to happen for him to live in a safe and loving home, but progress is being made.
  2. It is also about the voices of women calling in on the crisis line...fearful voices, tired voices, desperate voices, sad voices, voices trying to be brave enough to leave their situation, voices desperate to find shelter for the night, voices with little ones crying in the background, voices of pregnant women. And these voices belong to women of all ages, races, financial situations, educational backgrounds. 
  3. It's about the fact that at a Midlife Momentum small group setting in this past year there were 6 participants, 4 of whom had experienced abuse in their family of origin or in a marriage. This blew my mind, and it continues to break my heart, as I realize how many children are living in fear of those who should keep them safe and loved.
  4. It's about the fact that there are 3 times as many shelters for animals as there are for women and children. There is something very wrong with this picture. It breaks my heart every time I need to tell someone that our shelters are full to capacity when they have finally gotten the courage to leave their situation. We try to find other options, but it isn't always possible. Because of the limited space we can only offer immediate shelter if the situation is lethal.
  5. I could go on and get into the area of human trafficking...but I better save that for another time.

Isaiah 1:16-17 Wash yourselves, make yourself clean;put away the evil of your doings from before my eyes. Cease to do evil, learn to do good; SEEK JUSTICE, REBUKE THE OPPRESSOR, DEFEND THE FATHERLESS, PLEAD FOR THE WIDOW.

I think the Father's heart puts the abused and assaulted in the same category. How can we be partners who help break the cycle? How do we create places of safety and welcome?  When the situation looks so dark how are we able to bring light?  How can we be lovers in the name of Jesus in this broken world?  It starts in our homes.

Lord, Please help us, that we might help others!!


I'm in Australia for the month of November, so I'm sure there will be some grandma stories coming...apologies in advance, but you know when you have such beautiful reminders of God's goodness around you have to pay attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment