Friday, February 28, 2014

Met God at Meijer

For those of you who will be at Central Park Reformed Church this Sunday (March 2) this will be a sneak preview of the sermon. I'm preaching on John 10:10, “The thief comes to steal, kill and destroy. I have come that they might have life and have it in abundance.” The passage comes in the context of Jesus' parable about the Good Shepherd and the sheep who know his voice and follow his call.


This is my theme in life...I know Jesus wants to bring us to the place of living abundantly. In fact, I believe this verse summarizes Jesus mission statement. Everything he does is to bring life...abundantly! In order to live this abundant life I also believe we need to live into all that God has created and called us to be and do. It takes intention...determination...surrender, a willingness to become, and to follow where the Shepherd leads. This I believe!!


Yet I've been struggling with what that is supposed to look like at this time in my life. I feel like I'm working one of mom's jigsaw puzzles, and there are pieces missing. On to the story...


I had most of the ingredients of the sermon figured out, but was having trouble putting them together. Again, it felt like there were pieces missing...so I decided to make a trip to Meijer to pick up a few groceries. Getting outside on the frigid, but sunny day sounded like a good idea. I had finished my shopping and was heading out of the store when I said to God, how can I preach this when I don't feel like I am living the abundant life? And I knew I had found the missing pieces, at Meijers...at least the pieces for the sermon.


Abundant Life:


Doesn't mean easy life. Doesn't mean I always get what I think I need.  Doesn't mean there aren't wilderness times. It means when I'm walking through Meijer the Creator of the universe will talk with me. God will reveal his love for me; will help me realize God's presence is in me and around me. This is abundant life!! Knowing that I am loved beyond comprehension, by the Good Shepherd who knows my name. Knowing that I matter in the grand scheme of the kingdom of heaven, not because I am something so special on the world's scale, but because I am a daughter of the King of Kings! Created by grace, redeemed by grace, reconciled by grace, anointed by grace, to be God's ambassador of grace in this broken world...even on the days I don't feel like it.


These are the pieces that hold all of the puzzle together. We are not saved to go to heaven someday. We are saved from living a Godless life today; to enjoy God's presence and bring glory to him each and every day of our lives, now and forever.

I left Meijer with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat.  God is so amazing, showing up when we least expect it.  I hadn't even been thinking about the sermon while I was walking around.  I didn't know it was on my mind and heart.  I don't know what prompted me to realize I didn't feel worthy to preach the sermon.  I just ran into God and He knew what I needed.


Ephesians 2:10 For you are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus, for good works, which
God prepared in advance, that you should live into them. (Abundance!)



Thank you God, for pursuing me down the isles of Meijer today. Lord, I determine again today to live the abundant life you came to give. Help me to pay attention, that I might bring glory to you.

1 comment: