Friday, August 22, 2014

Too much or Not Enough

Sometimes something happens that makes you look at yourself, your values, your spending, your relationships...the whole kit and kabuddle(?).  A couple of weeks ago it happened for us.

We were busy working on getting our rental house ready for our new renters, about whom we are really excited!!  4 young women, all with hearts after God!  This is exactly what we were praying for as we bought and fixed up (with the help of friends Angel and Janelle) the house.  Lord, let it be a place of ministry and blessing for those who live in it, and for the community.

Anyway...I was making a quick run to Aldi's.  In the parking lot I noticed a man on his phone.  He caught my attention, in part because he was wearing a winter jacket in 70 degree weather.  I felt drawn to park next to him, went in and made my purchase, came out, and as I was walking to the car he asked, with a strong accent, if I could help him give the location to a taxi driver.  I took the phone from him and helped him out.  Afterwards I asked what country he was from and he responded Haiti.  I had been right about the accent!

I asked where he was taking the taxi and he named a town about 20 miles away.  That's a lot of taxi money!!  We talked a bit more...we have a heart for Haiti, so it was fun to share a little history.  He lives in Florida, but had come to Michigan to pick blueberries, only to discover that his back could not handle the work.  He was palnning on returning to Florida soon, but in the meantime needed to get back to the town where he was staying with a house full of other immigrant workers, wall to wall sleeping mats.

I told him if he hung out with us for the morning we could save him the taxi fare and take him back to the house.  So he helped us out a little as we worked on the house and then came over for lunch before Al took him back to Fennville.

So, how did it shift my everything?  Well, in lots of ways that I probably don't even realize yet, but here is one.  We live in a modest, relatively small house in Holland.  Most of the time I love my charming little house. (Okay, I'd like it a little better if we had a few more things fixed.)  But really it is very cute.  However, there are times when I feel a bit embarrassed. I wonder: does this look like a house that two professionals live in as they anticipate retirement?  (I know, pretty unspiritual, right?)

That wasn't a problem that Thursday.  I kept feeling embarrassed as our Haitian friend looked around.  As we ate lunch I kept thinking, "Only two people live in this whole house!"  This is such abundance! If we were going to be in the house the next few days we would have offered him a place for a few days, but we were heading out in the morning.

I keep praying that no matter how many people are living in this house it will be a house of ministry, where people feel welcome and safe, encouraged and blessed.  I pray that God will keep my perspective real!

I pray Philippians 4:11-13 For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all things through him who gives me strength.

So the learning will continue next week as I greet someone I know lives at a different financial level than I do.  I may need to fight the temptation to think our house is embarassing.  Paul did say he "LEARNED" which means it was a process.  So I look forward to sharing our home and offering the hospitality of warmth and friendship.  Isn't that what we are all looking for?

No comments:

Post a Comment