Tuesday, January 6, 2015

One Word

Have you seen some of the facebook posts about choosing a word for 2015 instead of making and breaking resolutions?  The responses are interesting.  There are some folks who say they can't choose just one word and then list several wonderful attributes they desire, peace, truth, compassion, mercy, etc.  Most of those mentioned are admirable, but I don't think they are quite getting the purpose of the exercise.

The intention is to focus our thoughts and hearts on hearing the number one thing God is laying on our hearts.  We did this last year and Al's word was "wait," while mine was "presence."  For the whole year my intention was to be aware of how God was calling me to bring the presence of Christ into every place and situation I found myself.  Sometimes I did it well.  Sometimes I forgot, but it was a significant year of growth in realizing that is what I am called to do...bring Jesus, who dwells inside me, wherever I go, and then act like I believe Jesus would act.  One word.

So this year I believe my word is to be "attention."  I need to pay attention and give attention.  I need to give attention to those people and situations where I am being the presence of Christ.  I need to "give attention" to my mom, who is 91.  I need to "give attention" to my marriage with the added challenge of being in two different locations most of the time.  I need to "give attention" to my kids and grandkids, but I also need to "give attention" to the other people God places in my path.

I need to "pay attention" so that I don't miss the God sightings all around me, or the whispers of God that fill the air.  I want to expect to see God in an abundance of people, circumstances and places.  I want to learn all that God has to teach me as I move through my days.

I encourage you to meditate and wait on the Lord to see what one word He brings to your awareness. It is hard to focus and hold in your mind six or seven words for the year.  But I think if you will take the time to discern that one focus for the year you will find God at work in a multitude of ways, taking you deeper into his perfect plans for your life.

Do it with a friend/spouse/sibling, ect. so you can share the ways your word is showing up and guiding you through 2015.

Blessings, my friends!

Proverbs 4:20-23  My child, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words.  Do not let them out of your sight, keep them in your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to a person's whole body.  Above all else guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment