Thursday, February 12, 2015

Kids are so real!

 Al had an extra little adventure while we were in Australia.  He was going to mow the lawn for the kids when he became short of breath and started sweating profusely.  He laid on the lawn while I called for Cory to come outside.  "Something is going on with Dad."

Cory "quickly" drove Al to the emergency room, while I stayed home with the kids. Obviously they knew something was going on and were worried about it.  Three year old Luka wanted to know what was wrong with Papa.  I told him that we didn't know, but that daddy was taking him to the hospital to make sure papa's heart was working right.

A minute later Luka said, "Baby Aiden's heart wasn't working and he died."  I didn't know anything about this friend of their family, but I tried to assure him that the Drs. would check his heart, but he would be okay.  Later Luka was being naughty, hitting his little brother and sister.  I said, "Luka, what is going on?"  He looked at me and said, "My papa might die!"

I wonder if I was being as honest as Luka about my fears.

I've been thinking about how important it was for Luka to be able to communicate his fears, to be able to verbalize what was wrong in his world.  I thought it was pretty amazing for a 3 year old.  It is probably amazing for any of us to be able to stop and consider what is making us do what we do...say what we say...think what we think.

How often do I respond to someone with anger, because I am afraid?  How often am I ornery and I don't even know why?  How often do I ignore what is going on inside me in order to seem strong and put together to others?  How much healthier would we be if we paid more attention to our thoughts and fears and emotions to figure out what we need to be whole.  Then we could come to God honestly, and openly, and lie down before Him to receive from him the peace and assuance we need.

In the end, after many tests they told Al that all was fine...no heart issues, no blood clots.  They said it wasn't unusual for people to have episodes like this following long haul flights.  The stress can cause your body to have a panic attack.  So we are thanking God that all is well.


  1. Search me, O God, and know my heart today,
    Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray;
    See if there be some wicked way in me;
    Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.
  2. I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin;
    Fulfill Thy word and make me pure within;
    Fill me with fire, where once I burned with shame;
    Grant my desire to magnify Thy name.
  3. Lord, take my life, and make it wholly Thine;
    Fill my poor heart with Thy great love divine;
    Take all my will, my passion, self and pride;
    I now surrender, Lord, in me abide.
  4. O Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee;
    Send a revival, start the work in me;
    Thy Word declares Thou wilt supply our need;
    For blessings now, O Lord, I humbly plead.

It was another chance to learn from the children.  

No comments:

Post a Comment