Sunday, June 30, 2013

Ubuntu

A week or so ago I posted a picture on Facebook of African children sitting in a circle with their feet together.  It represented the story of an anthropologist playing a game with the children in which the "winner" would get the "sweet fruits."  The children, instead of competing, were said to make sure they all were able to share.  When asked "Why?"  They responded, "Ubuntu ( meaning:  I am because we are), and asked the anthropologist, "How can one of us be happy when all the others are sad?"

It reminded me of Haiti.  When we lived there for 8 months in 2001 Americans would regularly bring the mission staff American treats.  One time someone brought a small box of instant chocolate pudding.  Every morning we got a little jar of milk from a local cow.  You really needed to use the milk to make something that would cover the taste of the milk, because it would taste like whatever weeds or grass the cow had just eaten.  Chocolate pudding was perfect.  I took an empty kool-aid container, filled it with 2 cups of milk and the pudding and shook it up.

I gave the container to Lipsia the oldest of about 5 little girls who often played near the mission.  I instructed her to share it with the other children.  When they opened it and saw what was inside there was a whoop of excitement and they all ran off yelling, "Chocolate!  Chocolate!"

Later I asked where they had gone.  Lispia told me they had taken the pudding back to the village so that everyone could have a taste.  "How can one of us be happy when all the others are sad?"  I had no idea what an amazing treat this was going to be.  They had no intention of keeping this treat between just the 5 of them.  Dozens of people would enjoy a taste of this treat.

I don't think we have a clue how counter-cultural "UBUNTU" is in the US.  Recognizing that my happiness isn't just about "me"  is also counter-cultural.    We have taken our "right" to the "pursuit of happiness" down a very narrow and unhealthy path.  I want the wisdom that these children have!

 Lord, save us from our entitled, individualistic way of life!  I pray this prayer with a bit of fear and trembling, because I'm not sure what it will take before we can understand what God desires when he tells us to "Love our neighbors as ourselves."

I want the joy these children have as they live in community, even when there is great need; and I don't want our American values to mess up their world, even as we try to help without hurting .



No comments:

Post a Comment