Thursday, November 21, 2013

Ready?

Luka at 2 1/2 loves his trains.  He is also just begining to talk and put his beautiful thoughts into words. This is probably my very favorite stage of childhood.  A few mornings ago he was very busy setting up his tracks, lining up his Thomas and cars.  Everything was all set up as he played, just talking away to no one but himself.

And this is what I heard him say,"Ready?  Not Yet.  Few Minutes."  Then he just waited on his knees beside his train.  Pretty soon, "Ready?  Not Yet.  Few Minutes."  Some more waiting happened.  He didn't look around.  He didn't add anything.  He just waited and then repeated the same phrases, again.

It fascinated me.  What was he thinking?  What was he waiting for?  I thought about how often we use those phrases with children.  "Not yet, we have to wait a few minutes."  "Just a minute."

It also drew my thoughts to our Father, which art in heaven.  I thought about hearing God prompting and calling me.  Sending that still small voice that asks me to go...to do...to be...to submit...to trust...to love...  I imagined Him waiting, saying, "Ready?"  And all too often my response is, "Not yet.  I'm not prepared, I'm not sure if I'm hearing you right. I need more Bible study...more training...more faith....others could do it so much better...I don't feel comfortable...I'm not ready."

I shared this story with a friend today and immediately she connected it with her prodigal son.  She talked of her struggle to really trust God to love this son of hers, to let go and submit to whatever God needs to do to bring him home to the Father.

We talked about that sense that we are never enough...that our faith is never great enough, that we know we can't conjure up what we think is needed in those kinds of situations.  But we are also incredibly thankful that God's love is so great, God's power is unlimited, God's ways are beyond our understanding, and we can know that God is enough.

Ready?  Okay, Lord.  I believe, help me in my unbelief.  Make me ready.


No comments:

Post a Comment