Friday, November 8, 2013

Totally Aussie

I am spending the month of November in Australia with son Cory and his wife Elisa and their two little ones, Lilah 6 and Luka 2.  I love looking for thoses totally aussie moments and yesterday was one of them...

Cory's church belongs to a greater ministry called Wesly Mission in the heart of Sydney.  Yesterday was the 100th annual Wesley Fair; basically a craft, baked goods, rummage sale combination.  I was waiting for the elevator on the floor with the offices when I ran into three other folks heading down.

One of them asked, "Have you been down  to the fair?

Response:  No I'm going down now for a "sticky bake."  (At least that is what I heard.)

I responded:  "Ooo, that sounds yummy.  Is that a sweet roll?"

Chuckles.

Response:  No, I mean I'm going for a "look see."

Aah, of course..."sticky bake...look see."

So later that evening I asked Cory why in the world they say, "Sticky bake" when talking about taking a look around?

Chuckles.

He responded:  It's "sticky beak", not "sticky bake."  (Well that cleared up everything...not.)
"Sticky beak means to stick your beak into something and see what you find...check it out," he said.

It's amazing how hard it can be to understand someone who is speaking the same language.  It makes me realize that so much of our "Christianeze" language is totally foreign to those who grow up outside of our churched communities.  What we assume is powerful language might make no sense to someone first encountering the Good News.  We don't intend to shut them out, but if we are not careful it happens so easily.

Of course there is also the danger that we never get into any situations where everyone doesn't already know all the "Christianeze," because that can seem a lot more comfortable.  So I invite you to have a "look see"  go out for a "sticky beak" and see what God is up to in places you may not have frequented lately...or ever.  Stretch your vocabulary!!

1 comment:

  1. No more hiding in remote areas of the world, we are going to travel with you! And looking forward to staying updated! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete