Friday, June 20, 2014

Double Dipping in Baptism

I may be treading on some sacred and scary ground here, but as I pondered the thoughts about birdbath faith (Instigated by Richard Rohr) they led to me think about baptism and rebaptism.  In my path as a pastor and mom I have talked with those who were baptized as infants and longed to be rebaptised as adults.  They were sprinkled before they could remember, and desired to be immersed in the grace and love of baptismal waters.

Sometimes the parents were concerned or offended, as if the first baptism wasn't good enough, or wasn't real.  Most of the time it comes up when people have an intense encounter with God in a place and way they have never experienced before.  I tend to say, "Hallelujah!  Go for it.  If this is something you feel you need to experience I think God is fine with it."

It doesn't mean the infant baptism wasn't real.  It doesn't mean God's promises were any less that first time than what you will claim when you are re-baptized.  But I get it.  I understand how feeling that immersion, that take my breath away expereince, into the love and grace of God can be a powerful step in spiritual growth for some.

I acknowledge the need of some to say, "I want to decide to make this step."  For me it isn't a matter of right and wrong.  I don't think God is really upset with anyone on this issue.  I think the Father rejoices when his children declare I want to go deeper.  I want to dive into this faith walk/swim.  I doubt that God is offended because this(often) young person says, "For me the infant baptism wasn't enough.  I need to feel the living water of grace washing over me."

I have to admit I've been a little frustrated when during infant baptism we seem afraid to get the child wet.  I know the power of baptism has nothing to do with the amount of water, or the delivery system, but it does have a lot to do with symbolism.  

So however and whenever you were baptized I pray that you will have a fresh awareness of the living water that washes over us, cleansing us from sin and drenching us in the Spirit.  Take a spiritual swim!

John 7:37-39  "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink.  Whoever believes in me as the Scripture says, Streams of living water will flow from within him."  By this he meant the Spirit whom those who believed in him were later to receive.

ACts 2:38 Peter said,  "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Chrsit for the forgiveness of your sins.  And you will receive the Holy Spirit.  The promise is for you and your children and all who are far off."

Romans 6:4  We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment