Friday, June 20, 2014

It's a Wild Ride

It is VBS week here at Central Park Church here in Holland, MI.  ("It's a Wild Ride" comes from one of the songs.)  I am finding myself in a very strange role...I'm just hanging out.  Wow, after so many years of planning, recruiting, heading up and loving the kids this is a strange place to be.

However, I haven't been in Holland much on the weekends lately, and Diedrick and Annika are with us for the next month, so I didn't sign up to help, and have really enjoyed just hanging out, watching what God is up to.

The VBS is labeled as being for 4 year olds through 6th grade, but in reality it is a discipleship camp for all ages!  I love watching the interactions.

The other day Annika(2nd grade) was talking about Ellie, who is going into 7th grade.
Diedrick(4th grade):  "Is that the one who touched your nose?"
Annika:  "Yup, and then I touched her nose."  Annika loves Ellie!

There are middle-schoolers all over this place being the helpers.  It is a wonderful way to engage these youth in the mission of the church.  They continue to learn as they hear the stories, sing the songs, perform in the skits, lead the games, and watch the adults as well as the children.  They are the church!

So you could say the VBS is for 4 year olds through youth.  But then there was the conversation I had with one of the moms who said, "I've been a member of this church all my life and have probably been watching Jim and Marla serve for 40 years, and they are still dong VBS."  The 65+ year olds are modeling what belonging can look like for the 40 year olds.

Lynn, who retired in January talked about how much she enjoys being the point person for VBS, not just the week it happens, but working with people in preparation for weeks ahead of time.  Her gifts are being used in powerful ways...and she is loving it!

AND the KIDS!  They model for us the exhuberance and energy of young life.  They teach us as we see them building new relationships, opening themselves up as the week unfolds. They are discovering who God is and how much they are loved. There are a lot of kids who aren't from this congregation, so many start out timid, a little unsure of what is going on, but as the week goes on the place comes alive, and I'm sure God loves hanging out with us too.

As I watch I see this as a place of belonging; a place where all are welcome and needed; a place where love is shared between the generations, and where we celebrate God's grace and goodness as we grow in folloing Jesus.





No comments:

Post a Comment