Saturday, March 28, 2015

Seasoning at work

Truthfully...I don't often think about being "old."  My mantra is, "I could live to be 90 or beyond,(My mom is 91) and I don't plan to be "old" for 30 years!  How about you?

However...I do feel like just maybe I am entering another season of aging.

This past Sunday through Tuesday I was at a wonderful retreat for pastor's wives in Freeport, IL. It was provided by Deer Ridge Ministries, and all of you ministry type families need to check out the support they offer to pastors and their families.  It is wonderful!

As I am enjoying the retreat I suddenly realize, "I think I am the oldest person in the room!"  A new first for me...being the oldest person at an event like this.  WOW!  I admit it was a bit of a shock. Pam Farrel, author of numerous books, was the speaker and talked of those in midlife as being "seasoned sisters."  I guess I was the most "seasoned" among them.

Monday morning found me and perhaps the second oldest woman there sitting with two younger pastor's wives; listening to their stories, sharing in their pain, lifting them up in prayer.  What a blessing it was to be able to encourage and support them.  God bonded our hearts over breakfast.

It reminded me of a conversation I had with an Australian pastor about the age of my son who told me he really believed his generation needed, "older women" to support, encourage and counsel pastors and their families.

I know the support isn't just needed by ministry folks.  I believe our generation is called to be the Elizabeths (Mary's cousin) and the Mordecais (Queen Esther's cousin) to the next generation.  We are the ones who can share our stories, but perhaps more importantly listen to theirs.  We can come along side them to encourage, empower and believe in what God is doing in and through them.

Mary was given the gift of Elizabeth to be able to fulfill her role in God's great story.  Three months of living and listening to this wise woman of God, prepared Mary for the overwhelming task to which God had called her.

Could young Queen Esther possibly have accomplished her God-given task of saving her people without Mordecai standing beside her, believing in her and encouraging her to do what seemed like the impossible; but which was, in fact, exactly what she had been born to do?

Who are the young people God has placed in your life, your family, your world, who need your support.  Maybe it looks like God has called them to an impossible situation or opportunity.  Maybe nobody else will say, "Go for it!  You can do it.  I see the Spirit of God at work in you!  You have been born for this!"

Maybe what they are doing doesn't make sense by the world's standards and so there is lots of opposition.  Maybe it is just plain long and hard.  Relish the opportunity to walk with them, pray for them, believe in God at work in them!

EMBRACE this time, this season.  Smile when people refer to you as the "Older Woman."  It is a place of privilege and opportunity.

Luke 1:45  Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!

1 comment:

  1. Holly loved this post - I so relate about being the oldest there. =)

    ReplyDelete