Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Lord provides on the Mountain

God knows.  This is our Haitian friend TiCarme's response to our questions of How?  When?  With what?  How Many?  God knows. And she believes, God cares, God works, God provides, all according to his wisdom and compassion.  GOD KNOW!

Last night as I headed to bed I read a few pages from "The Story," which is the Bible set in a chronological novel form.  The story I was up to was Abraham and Isaac. I read about his birth and God's challenge to Abraham to offer Isaac up as a sacrifice. Do you remember the story?  God speaks to Abraham and tells him to go to the mountain and sacrifice his son, his only son, the son of promise.  This was the son who was supposed to lead to generations of descendants too numerous to count.  But here was God asking Abraham to give him up...sacrifice him on an altar.

They get up the mountain and Abraham has Isaac tied down on the altar before God intervenes and says, "Stop Abraham.  Now I know you won't even withold your son from me."  And in the bushes God provides a ram for the sacrifice.

This morning I decided to check out what was happening at Western seminary for chapel and read that the drama team from Northwestern college, which is always wonderful, was doing chapel.  So I went over.  Guess what story they dramatized.  Yup, Abraham and Isaac on the mountain of sacrifice, and on the mountain of God's provision.

Genesis 22:14  So Abraham called this place, "The Lord will provide." And to this day it is said, "On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided."

Last week we were in Haiti (which literally means Mountains).  We listened to our Haitian parnters share their dreams of what they believed God was calling them to do and be in their community and country.  It was awesome, but also scary.  Last year they helped 40 students who wouldn't have been able to go to school without a scholarship.  They are excited!  They see hundreds more. They have the heart, the knowledge, the connections in their community.  They know the people, the needs, the schools, the teachers, but they need resources, and that is where we come in.  We have made a commitment to HELP find God's resources to fulfill their dreams.

As we were flying back Friday evening I began to have a panic attack as I thought about those dreams and plans.  My thoughts went like this:  "I'm not a good fund raiser!  This is way over my head!  I'll never get a good nights sleep again!  Every time I close my eyes I see Haiti."

Then God whispered to me, "You are right; you are not a very good fund raiser...but the funds are mine.  You are in over your head...but I called you to this, so you don't have to do it alone.  Go to sleep.  Trust me!  I see Haiti.

This morning God reminded me again...On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.  


No comments:

Post a Comment