Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Hungry

Continuing the theme from the last post...God continues to teach me!

As I was preparing the sermon last week on hunger an unforgettable image came to mind.  A few years ago we lived and ministered in Haiti for 8 months.  One day I was walking down a path between two small villages.  On the path a young woman was sitting by the side of the road.  As I approached her she rubbed her stomach and said, "Grungu," which means hungry.  I had no money or food with me and communicated this to her.  She responded in English, with a gentle voice saying, "Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food.  If one of you says to him, or her, 'Go I wish you well: keep warm and well fed.' but does nothing about her physical needs, what good is it?"  She then got up and moved on, as did I, knowing that I had just heard a powerful sermon on real faith. (See James 2)

Several weeks later there was a woman from her village who was pregnant with twins.  When it came time for her to give birth she couldn't deliver them, so our family ended up getting her to a hospital in Port au Prince.  We also helped provide extra food for the family and contacted a church about helping build her a house.  (There is so much more to this story, but this is the short form.)

Back to the young woman on the path...I saw her one day when we were back in the village checking on the babies.  She said to me, "Ou bon moun," which means "You are a good person."  It was like she was saying, "You are my sister.  Now I have seen your faith in action."  I am also reminded of how wise and discerning our Haitian brothers and sister are.  They are watching when we come down as visiting "missionaries."  They are looking for faith and love.  They may be physically hungry, but there are many ways they feed our spiritual hunger from their riches.

We are called to be witnesses of the gospel.....the good news.  God loves us!  God is faithful!  God will provide!  God is sufficient!  God calls His people to "Do justice, Love mercy and walk humble with our God."  Micah 6:8

How do we live in such a way that we proclaim the Good News every day.  Truthfully, it is much easier in Haiti.

Lord, How do you want us to meet the hunger of those all around us, in whatever form that hunger may take?  Lord, help us to recognize where we are hungry, and what we need.  

No comments:

Post a Comment