Wednesday, February 20, 2013

This has been a very interesting week, in terms of a reoccurring theme.  You know how God tries to get our attention sometimes, right?  So in this past week I finished reading, 7: an Experimental Mutiny Against Excess, by Jen Hatmaker.  The title gives you a good idea of the theme of the book.  She talks about excess in food, clothing, possessions/stuff in general, media, waste, spending and stress.  She writes with humor, but watch out...she will convict you!  Now I need to figure out what to do about the conviction...hmmm.  I'd love for some of you to read it and share this struggle and journey with me.

So the book...then I ran across this statement by James Alison as he was talking about the people of God in the wilderness, "The One who wanted to give them more kept finding them addicted to less."  Remember? God is leading them out of Egypt, through the Red Sea, giving the 10 commandments, feeding them with manna and quail, headed for the promised land....but they keep whining and wanting to go back to Egypt. So I am wondering, "What am I addicted to that keeps me from the MORE that God wants to give me?"

So the book...the quote...and then an invitation to preach at a nearby church, with the theme for the day being "Hunger."  The Scripture passages are Isaiah 58:6-12 and Matthew 25:31-40.  Isaiah challenges us by asking ,"What do you think God really wants from His people?"  Then Isaiah goes on to propose that God wants us to:
    Loose the chains of injustice
     Untie the cords of the yoke
       Set the oppressed free
        Break every yoke.

     Share our food with the hungry
      Provide the wanderer with shelter
       Clothe the naked
        Do not turn away from our own flesh and blood.

The Matthew passage is the familiar parable of the sheep and the goats, where Jesus says, "If you do it unto the least of these, my brothers and sisters, you do it unto me."  What is that again...Oh yea, feed the hungry, give a drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, visit the sick and imprisoned...

It has been quite a week.  So I am wrestling with, "What am I addicted to(the less) that keeps me from the MORE that God wants to give?" I know our God is generous beyond measure, and Jesus came that we might have abundant joy.  Do we really believe God any more than the Israelites did in the wilderness?

Isaiah says the MORE looks like this:  "Your light will break forth like the dawn..your healing will quickly appear..........when you cry for help the Lord will say:I am here...."  Is. 58:8-12

Sorry this post got a little preachy, but it is what God has been working on in me...just thought I'd share it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment