Monday, February 11, 2013

Run to the Darkness (Part 2)

Walking in the mornings has taken on a fresh meaning for me.  What will I find on this walk?  Who will I meet.  Ever since the glory invaded the darkness my expectations have risen.

Getting up and out of the house in the darkness has never been easy.  My bed is warm!  Michigan mornings take a long time to arrive.  I need incentive, and so knowing that my walking partner is waiting on the corner motivates me to "move it."  Once I am up and moving I am so glad I'm out there, but the next morning there is the same struggle.  Why, Oh why am I such a slow learner.  I know I will feel better.  I know I love that time when the world is waking up.  I know that God might surprise me with GLORY.

Actually this sounds like a lot of the disciplines that it takes to be a growing, effective follower of Jesus.  Ever since the morning of the glory snowfall I think about not only my partner waiting for me on the corner, but also that Jesus waits for me on so many corners of life.  Will I meet him as I open the Scriptures?  Will I meet him as I share breakfast with a friend?  Will I meet him when I talk to someone on the phone for the Center for Women in Transition?  Will I meet him in worship?  If I don't get up, take the first step through a new door what will I miss?

I know Jesus is waiting for me.  I know I'll feel better if I head out to meet him...even if that means heading to the table and opening the Bible.  I know life is so much richer when I take a chance.  So as I head out in the morning I look toward the street light down the road.  Where do you want to take me today, Lord?

No comments:

Post a Comment